Bachelor of Information Technology
Choose Information Technology at La Trobe
Study in one of the fastest growing industries in Australia developing jobs for the future.
- Undertake industry-based projects, with the chance to work in the IT industry, strengthening your ability to develop ideas and devise solutions.
- Apply for our Industry Based Learning program and have your work experience count towards your degree.
- Combine your studies in IT with another discipline from across the university.
- Information technology has had its highest employment growth within Australia (Graduate Careers Australia).
You can study this course through our Regional Reward. Learn more.
Career opportunities in IT
We offer a great platform for your career, with industry experience and the knowledge to address modern issues like computer hacking, software piracy and security breaches.
La Trobe designs its courses with your future career in mind and partners with a range of professional organisations for accreditation and registration. Refer to the detail for each course to see what professional registration and membership options exist.
You can find work in:
- systems analysis
- analyst programming
- database management
- software engineering and strategy
- technology management
- web development
- systems marketing and more.
Opportunities exist in a wide range of sectors such as banking, marketing, transportation and education.
What you'll learn
- plan, manage and develop projects and infrastructure technology
- develop software and websites and IT systems
- implement technical programs including e-commerce, data systems and mobile applications
- estimate, document and report on projects
- deal with social and ethical issues like computer hacking, software piracy and security breaches
- manage communication between upper management and technology specialists.
Students from Australia and New Zealand
2017 indicative: AUD$9,050 per year (based on typical first year fees with a deferred HECS-HELP loan). Find out more.
2017 indicative: AUD$28,500 annual tuition fee based on 120 credit points. Get more information on fees and how to pay.
International living expenses
Other than tuition fees, you should consider living and accommodation costs when planning your budget.
Scholarships and financial support
This course gives you an overall grounding in general information technology (IT) plus the opportunity to specialise in your area of interest. Specialty areas include:
- information systems
- software development
- computer networks
- web development.
First year subjects
Information Technology Fundamentals
Object Oriented Programming Fundamentals
|Data-based Critical Thinking|
Please note: these are the first year subjects for study at our Melbourne Campus. For full details, see the handbook entry for Melbourne and Bendigo. Once you've chosen your subjects, you can see your provisional timetable.
For information regarding course accreditation, registration or memberships, please refer to the course details.
How to apply
Find out how to apply direct to La Trobe.
Find out about how to apply as an international student.
Check out some of our many other pathway options available.
Keep in touch
Not quite what you're looking for?
You may also be interested in: