Master of Art Therapy
Choose Art Therapy at La Trobe
- Combine the creativity of art with the relational skills of counselling.
- Benefit from a combination of experiential, theoretical and practice-based learning.
- Get hands-on experience with more than 750 hours of supervised placement training.
- Take advantage of of our rigorous training and graduate ready to start independent practice.
Graduates are qualified to practise as art therapists in clinical settings including hospitals, community health programs and rehabilitation services.
Graduates can also find work in:
- education and psychiatric settings
- aged care
- palliative care facilities
- forensic centres.
What you'll learn
- use various artistic techniques to treat developmental, emotional, psychological and physical issues or disorders.
- rehabilitate people with substance abuse problems and eating disorders.
You must complete 240 credit points over two years of full-time or equivalent part-time study. The course also includes three semesters of supervised art therapy placements totalling 750 hours.
You will submit and present a Master’s level final project at the Final Project Symposium in December.
For full details, see the Handbook entry.
How to apply
Find out how to apply direct to La Trobe.
Find out about how to apply as an international student.
Scholarships and financial support
- Student income support from the Australian Government.
- Scholarships from La Trobe University
- Scholarships from the Australian Government