Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics
Choose Politics, Philosophy and Economics at La Trobe
La Trobe's philosophy, politics and international studies subjects are ranked in the international top 200.*
- The first university in Australia to offer this prestigious degree for tomorrow’s decision-makers and opinion shapers.
- Political, philosophical and economic (PPE) dimensions are critical to every issue in contemporary society.
- Develop a broad knowledge base to resolve practical policy problems using research and evidence-based solutions.
- Combines intellectual depth, real-world knowledge and practical skills.
- Considerable flexibility to tailor the degree to suit your interests.
*QS World University 2016 Rankings
La Trobe graduates are well prepared to work across the public, private and non-profit sectors in:
- public service
La Trobe PPE graduates are working in:
- Department of Prime Minister
- Grattan Institute
- Department of Education.
What you'll learn
- The political, economic and philosophical dimensions to major real world challenges.
- The interrelationships between each area and how they each apply to policy.
- Critical and analytical thinking, communication and negotiation skills and the ability to work well within teams.
Students from Australia and New Zealand
2017 indicative: AUD$6,349 per 120 credit points (based on typical first year fees with a deferred HECS-HELP loan). Find out more.
2017 indicative: AUD$26,500 annual tuition fee based on 120 credit points. Get more information on fees and how to pay.
International living expenses
Other than tuition fees, you should consider living and accommodation costs when planning your budget.
There is considerable flexibility to tailor the degree to suit your interests. Along with core and elective subjects from economics, philosophy and politics you also have the option to undertake electives in other disciplines.
First year subjects
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Australian Politics: Government and Society||Business Economics|
|Politics, Philosophy and Economics||Recessions, Inflation and Economic Growth|
|Philosophical Problems||Philosophy core subject|
|Politics core subject||Elective|
For information regarding course accreditation, registration or memberships, please refer to the course details.
Scholarships and financial support
How to apply
Find out how to apply direct to La Trobe.
Find out about how to apply as an international student.
Check out some of our many other pathway options available.