Master of Financial Analysis
Choose Master of Financial Analysis at La Trobe
- Ranked in Victoria's top 3 for Accounting & Finance (Excellence in Research for Australia Rankings 2015).
- Accounting & Finance subjects among top 200 in the world (QS World Rankings by Subject 2016).
- Study a CFA Program Partner, the most widely recognised professional accreditation in finance globally.
- Gain the essential skills for high-level careers in the financial sector including roles in investment and asset management, banking, corporate finance and financial management.
- Learn from a curriculum that is closely tied to professional practice.
- The Master of Financial Analysis is a CFA Program Partner. The CFA Charter is the most widely recognised professional accreditation in finance globally.
- Access a pathway to the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charter, the designation of professional excellence within the global investment industry.
- Join one of the first 100 business schools and universities around the world to actively endorse the United Nations backed Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME).
- La Trobe Business School has strong links with a range of companies and organisations including Deloitte, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Australia Post, ANZ, Melbourne City FC, the AFL CA, and the AFL PA.
What you'll learn
Our Master of Financial Analysis is an ideal route to internationally recognised professional accreditation in finance. This degree will give you a broad understanding of economics, accounting, management and quantitative methods, while developing your analytical thinking. The curriculum is designed to provide you with a framework of relevant knowledge and skills required for high-level work in the finance industry.
You'll gain a strong grounding in the foundation principles of finance and learn about security valuation and portfolio management, debt and derivative securities, micro and macroeconomics, competitive and monopoly market structures, credit analysis and risk assessment.
As a graduate you'll be ready for a high-level career in investment, banking and finance roles both locally and overseas. We'll prepare you for work in high-level investment, asset management, banking, and finance roles locally and overseas. Previous graduates have moved on to roles such as Senior Investment Officer, Finance Executive, and Business Analyst at various companies in Australia and around the world including PwC, Telstra, KPMG, ANZ and EY (formerly Ernst & Young).
As a La Trobe graduate you may be eligible for a 10% fee reduction when you apply for a full-fee postgraduate coursework program. Find out more about La Trobe's Alumni Advantage discount on our website.
Our Master of Financial Analysis is based on a defined body of knowledge of proven relevance to the finance industry and is designed as a pathway to the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
In the first year, you'll focus on the principles of economics, financial management, econometric methods, and sustainable management and marketing.
In your second year, you'll have seven elective subjects to cater for your areas of interest, whilst also taking a specialised subject in portfolio management. To find out about the electives you can choose from, please refer to the La Trobe Business School Postgraduate Elective Subjects.
To expand your employment options both internationally and in Australia, combine this degree with other Master's courses, such as the Master of Professional Accounting or the Master of International Business.
For more information on units and course structure, see the University Handbook.
How to apply
Find out how to Apply direct to La Trobe.
Find out about how to apply as an international student.
Scholarships and financial support
We also offer a number of La Trobe Business School scholarships for both local and international students.