Master of Business Analytics
Choose Business Analytics at La Trobe
The newest degree in Australia that allows you to combine business and big data.
Get the data analytics and business skills necessary to solve the problems facing modern industry.
- The only program in Australia that allows you to specialise in a particular industry, such as sports analytics, data science or health analytics.
- Study outside your working hours at our City Campus.
- Get hands-on experience with leading data analytics software from SAP, SAS and IBM.
- Lectures and workshops are delivered as a simultaneous interactive video stream, so you can participate from home or work.
- Study core analytics subjects with the support of industry practitioners and partners.
- La Trobe is a member of the CRC Data to Decision research program that will help train over 1000 data analytical professionals between 2015 and 2020.
- La Trobe Business School has strong links with a range of companies and organisations including Deloitte, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Australia Post, ANZ, Melbourne City FC, the AFL CA, and the AFL PA.
Learn more about our postgraduate research on the La Trobe University Knowledge Blog.
Industries around the world are faced with surging volumes of data that require more complex analysis than ever before. In the 2014 IAPA 'Skills & Salary' survey, the 2014 average salary of analytical professionals was almost twice the median Australian salary.
In Australia, the need for analytical professionals is at an all-time high across a range of industries including:
- public services.
What you'll learn
- analyse big and complex data using different analytical techniques
- apply analytics as solution to complex problems of modern businesses
- gain knowledge and skills to align business needs with analytics to deliver meaningful outcomes.
The complete course is 240 credit points.
Students from Australian and New Zealand
AUD$27,250 annual tuition fee based on 120 credit points.
You may be eligible for FEE-HELP, an Australian Government no-interest loan for university fees.
AUD$31,000 annual tuition fee based on 120 credit points. Get more information on fees and how to pay.
In your first year, you will learn foundational knowledge from the fields of information systems, statistics, management where your core analytical skills are then developed. In your second year, you will undertake learning in advanced areas of analytics, including more technical skills training of analytical tools with the view to specialise the analytical skills in a specific industry or discipline.
First year core subjects
- Management and marketing for sustainable value creation *
- Accounting and fiance for sustainable value creation *
- Business information management *
- Statistics for business and finance *
- Principles of business analytics
- Predictive analytics
- Visual analytics
- Decision support systems
* students applying to the program with a cognate undergraduate degree, and/or relevant work experience will normally be granted advanced standing (credits) to these subjects.
Second year core and elective subjects
- Data warehousing and big data
- Data warehouse concepts and design
- Customer analytics
- Analytics in practice
- four electives, which can be used to complete a specialisation
See the handbook for the full list of available subjects that may be undertaken as electives.
Students enrolled in the Master of Business Analytics may use the four electives to complete a specialisation. Students who wish to do so should discuss their study plan at the start of their studies with the program director.
For information regarding course accreditation, registration or memberships, please refer to the course details.
How to apply
Find out how to apply direct to La Trobe.
Find out about how to apply as an international student.