Why do research in Family therapy?
We have a strong research profile and offer supervision for PhD, Professional Doctorates and Research Masters. Our staff has a wide variety of research interests and current projects include domestic violence and health, supervision of psychotherapy, evaluation of couple counselling, and art and mental health.
Graduates are prepared for work in social, community, education and health contexts such as early intervention and infant services; mother and baby units; special education; child and family services; mental health facilities; drug and alcohol services; physical disabilities; hospitals; palliative care; intellectual disabilities; forensic settings; geriatric care and private practice.
- Duration :
- 3 years full-time or 4-8 years part-time
- Semester starts :
- Course description
- This course equips family therapists with advanced conceptual, practice, supervisory and research skills. Embodying 67 per cent research, content includes a thesis of 30,000 - 60,000 words, one core subject, research colloquia, and three clinical electives.
- Honours degree of H2A standard, or Master's degree (including thesis component), and at least three years' relevant professional
- Additional information
- This course is taught at The Bouverie Centre, Brunswick.
- How to apply
- Apply now. You can also ask us a question or chat online with one of our team (9.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday). Or call us on 1300 135 045.
- See Student Handbook for more details
- Clinical Sciences - Family Therapy (Doctor)Melbourne
How to apply
You can apply for research candidature at any time. However, applications for research scholarships close on 31 October.
To apply for Master's candidature, you need an Honours degree or Master's Preliminary. For Doctoral (PhD) candidature, you need a Master's or a Bachelor's degree with Honours, usually with a result of at least H2A.
Before applying, it's best to contact a potential academic supervisor and receive in-principle approval for your topic.
Once you've done this, you can download an application form [PDF 1.02Mb] and submit it to La Trobe's Research Services office. If you require this PDF in an alternative format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fees and scholarships
Research degrees are funded by the Commonwealth Government via the Research Training Scheme (RTS) (fees may apply to some components of some Professional Doctorates).
There are a range of scholarships available for local students.
No courses available
Fees and scholarships
Estimated fee costs for international students is indicated for each course above. There are also a range of scholarships available for international students to assist students.
Your study experience
Finding a supervisor
One of the most important aspects of your research study will be finding a supervisor in Family therapy.
Overseas study opportunities
You may be eligible for our student exchange program.
Students from our Faculty talk about their experience at La Trobe.