Stuttering treatment in adults is often more complex than treatment in children. As adults may have been stuttering for many years treatment must change the motor pattern that has developed and been practised over time. This will then alter the way a person speaks.
Often this may not feel natural, as treatment involves learning new motor patterns. However, in time and with lots of practice, adults who stutter can significantly reduce their stuttering. Treatment also addresses the emotions and attitudes that have developed related to speaking.
We offer an Intensive Smooth Speech Program for adults who stutter. The intensive stuttering treatment program, also referred to as 'Intensive Fluency', has been proven to lead to a decrease in stuttering and is supported by a significant evidence base.
Intensive Smooth Speech Program
This is a two month program where the individual is taught techniques to help produce ‘smooth’ speech, decrease the occurrence of stuttering, and to help maintain fluency.
The program usually runs during the first week of the university semester.
What to expect
- Each group usually has 12-15 participants.
- The program includes an intensive week (five consecutive 9-hour days), followed by weekly two hour sessions for seven weeks held on Thursday afternoons .
- Individual treatment is provided by supervised speech pathology students, usually with two students to one participant.
- Group practice opportunities are provided, but most of the treatment is individual.
- Opportunities and ideas for home practice and transfer of fluency are tailored to individual needs.
- Expect to be challenged, and to work hard to achieve/maintain fluency.
- The program is 60 hours over two months.
Benefits of this format
- Participants can meet and share experiences with other people who stutter.
- We provide individual and group treatment.
- There is ongoing support in the form of Review Days.
- Treatment is tailored to the individual.
- Treatment is delivered by enthusiastic student speech pathologists, interested in working with people who are stuttering.
Please complete and return the following application forms. These forms must be completed before a referral will be processed.
If any assistance is required to complete these forms, please call clinic reception on (03) 9479 1921 or email email@example.com to request assistance.
Our fees are not refundable through Medicare or private health insurance. Concession is available on the presentation of a Health Care Card. Fees may be altered according to family income and individual circumstances. For other programs or group therapy, different fees will apply.