Institutional strategies, evaluation and research
We're involved in developing institutional strategies and evaluating La Trobe University programs tailored to under-represented students and institutional research.
View case studies.
Care leaver strategy
Supported by the Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), the Centre for Higher Education Equity and Diversity Research (CHEEDR; formerly known as the Access and Achievement Research Unit) worked to develop a holistic strategy to attract and support care leavers at the University.
The strategy aims to:
- raise the higher education aspirations for young people in out-of-home care and care leavers;
- increase enrolments of care leavers at La Trobe University;
- increase support for care leavers attending La Trobe University to encourage their success in higher education; and
- continue leading the national research agenda and influencing national policy.
Learn about our work to support Care leavers.
- Employability Bursaries for low socio-economic status students
- Mobility Assistance Scholarships for low socio-economic status students
- Care Leaver Bursaries
New migrant strategy
The Centre is working with the Office of National Recruitment to develop a new recruitment strategy for new migrants, including students from refugee backgrounds.
We have a major role in evaluating the following La Trobe programs:
- School Partnerships Program (SPP)
- College of Science Health and Engineering (SHE) outreach program
- ‘VCE Plus’ program
- Academic Early Warning System, Succeed @ La Trobe
- Tertiary Enabling program.
- student access
- increasing low socio-economic status numbers at La Trobe
- outcomes and achievements of the Bendigo Tertiary Education Plan.
- university access and achievement of people from out-of-home care backgrounds
- investigation into university access, achievement and outcomes among students from non-English speaking backgrounds.
Retention, attrition and re-engagement
- student retention
- success and retention rates of international students at La Trobe
- identifying and responding to risk indicators of student attrition
- investigation into the cohort of students who withdraw from university and into re-engaging students who have withdrawn from university.
- student equity implications of embedding the La Trobe Essentials
- student equity issues within blended and online subjects
- investigation into international student finances
- investigation into equity and diversity among university postgraduate and higher degree cohorts
- methodology to rank universities on inclusive excellence, using metrics of quality, equity and diversity.