Focus film prize
The 2013 Focus Film Prize is open to Australians aged between 15 -21 years (excluding current La Trobe students).
The 2013 Focus Film Prize theme is community. We want you to explore issues, people stories and anything in your community that needs a voice. Community can be defined as:
- A social group of any size whose members reside in a specific location, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.
- A social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists.
- A group of associated nations sharing common interests or a common heritage.
As a finalist, you'll have your work showcased at a special film screening event, with the best film from each category sharing in cash and prizes:
First prize – a $1000 travel voucher
Second prize – an Apple iPad 3 and a $100 iTunes card
Third prize – an Apple iPad mini
How to enter
Focus Film Prize
Future Students Office
La Trobe University
P.O. Box 821
Wodonga Victoria 3689
Entries open 9am July 15, 2013 and close 5pm October 8, 2013. The awards night will be held at the Main Lecture Theatre, La Trobe University, University Drive, Albury-Wodonga on 6pm October 15, 2013.
Don’t own a video camera? Don’t worry – we have a category to suit you.
- Mobile devices: Entries should not exceed 3 minutes.
- Animation: Entries should be between 30-180 seconds in length.
- Live action: Entries into this category should not exceed 3 minutes in length.
Who can enter?
Any Australian citizen or permanent resident aged 15 to 21 is eligible to enter the Focus Film Prize. Current La Trobe students you are not eligible to enter.
Are there any guidelines I need to keep in mind?
Your film should aim to:
- be clean, sharp, well-lit and focused
- include people actively engaged in conversation / collaborative activity
- provide a balance of gender / age / ethnicity
- provide a single primary focal point.
You should avoid capturing subjects who are:
- wearing revealing, offensive or heavily branded clothing
- wearing extremely brightly coloured or patterned clothing
- heavily tattooed
- making offensive gestures
- displaying heavily branded products
- using alcohol, cigarettes or drugs.
Film backgrounds should avoid prominent signage.
I work in a duo/partnership/collaboration. Can I still enter?
Yes, as long as your creative partners agree to you entering collaborative work, and their contribution is acknowledged. Please note you will have to share the prize if successful.
How many films can I enter?
You can enter as many films as you think necessary to demonstrate your experience and skills to our judges.
When is the deadline?
All submissions need to reach La Trobe University’s Albury-Wodonga Campus by 5pm October 8, 2013.
What if I need more help with my entry?
Email us at email@example.com.
Terms and conditions
Entry terms – 2013 Video Competition for Albury Wodonga Campus (LEG/10233)
1. La Trobe University (ABN 64 804 735 113) (La Trobe) is conducting a competition titled Focus Film Prize (Competition). The Competition is open from 9am 15 July 2013 to 5pm 8 October 2013.
2. Entrants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents aged between 15 to 21 years and not currently enrolled as a student at La Trobe. Entrants less than 18 years old must require consent of a parent or guardian to enter.
3. All Entries are submitted in accordance with these terms (Terms) and, by entering the Competition, you agree to be bound by these Terms. Any Entry that does not comply with these Terms may be deemed invalid. Competition information, including registration process and available prizes, is published on the Competition website.
4. You represent and warrant in relation to your Entry that:
(a) any details you provide with your Entry are true and accurate;
(b) your Entry and La Trobe’s use of your Entry will:
(i) not infringe any third party’s intellectual property rights;
(ii) not infringe any person’s privacy rights or any applicable privacy laws (including but not limited to the Information Privacy Act 2000 (Vic));
(iii) not breach any other laws;
(c) your Entry does not contain unlawful, objectionable or defamatory content; and
(d) you indemnify La Trobe against any loss or damage resulting from any breach of the warranties in this clause.
5. You grant to La Trobe a perpetual, world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive licence (including the right to sublicense) to use, reproduce, publish, adapt, modify or communicate your Entry in any format and for any purpose.
6. You agree that La Trobe may make your Entry publicly accessible through social media channels, including video-sharing website YouTube (www.youtube.com) or similar websites.
7. You agree to your name being published in relation to your Entry and to La Trobe contacting you for the purpose of the Competition and for La Trobe’s marketing and promotional purposes. A copy of La Trobe’s privacy statement is available at: www.latrobe.edu.au/statements/privacy
8. Entries will be judged based on skill and any decision of La Trobe regarding selection is final and binding. Winners will be announced at an Awards Night held 15 October 2013 and published on the Competition website. Details for the Awards Night will be made available on the Competition website prior to the event.
9. If any event prevents or hinders the Competition or La Trobe’s ability to deliver any prize, La Trobe may, in its discretion, cancel the Competition, select another winner, or provide a similar prize. La Trobe accepts no responsibility for invalid, lost or delayed entries.
10. La Trobe assumes no responsibility for any incorrect or inaccurate information, for any equipment or technical error associated with the Competition, or for any defect in, theft, destruction, unauthorised access to or alteration of any Entry.
11. To the extent permitted by law, La Trobe will not be liable for any injury, damages, expenses, or loss whatsoever (whether direct or indirect) to persons or property as a result of any person entering into the Competition or accepting or using any prize, including without limitation non-receipt of any prize.
12. To the extent permitted by law, all warranties in respect of the prize, whether express, implied, statutory or otherwise, are excluded. To the extent such warranties cannot be excluded by law but liability for their breach can lawfully be limited to any of the following, liability will be limited, at La Trobe’s option, to replacement of the prize or payment of the cost of replacing the prize or acquiring an equivalent item.
Need more help with your entry? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.