A reunion is a great opportunity to reconnect with long lost classmates and to rekindle the bonds forged at La Trobe University.
With La Trobe turning 50 in 2017, there’s never been a better time to get together and reminisce with friends, network and learn more about the University’s plans for the future.
There are a few steps you’ll need to consider before planning a reunion. Take a look at the step-by-step guide below, or download the Reunion Guide [PDF 1.6MB] for more detailed information.
Register your reunion
If you are interested in organising a reunion, the first step is to fill out the ‘Register Your Event or Reunion’ form on the 50th Anniversary website.
Once you have completed this form, a member of the Alumni Relations team will be in contact to discuss your reunion further. We will guide you through the process of organising a successful reunion from finding your guests to promoting the event. We are here to help!
Discuss ideas with alumni relations office
What style of event do you want to have? Do you want to organise a lunch, dinner, cocktail party or casual drinks at a bar? What is your budget? Are you going to charge for the event?
These are a few things you will need to think about. Your main options for your event would be:
- small scale gathering – minimal organisation, with everyone paying their own way at a bar or restaurant
- larger scale gathering – gala dinner/hired venue involves more complex organising as it may involve organising catering and charging a price per head
Finding your guests
When deciding who to invite Facebook, LinkedIn or other social media platforms are a good place to start. Get in contact with your friends who may still be in touch with some of your cohort. We can advise you of the number of alumni in your cohort we are in contact with and can reach out to them on your behalf.
Promote your event
We can send an email to your cohort inviting them to the reunion on your behalf. We can also provide an invitation template that you can send to those you are in contact with.
Our team can promote your event through our alumni communication platforms, as appropriate. Our channels include:
- monthly alumni eNewsletter
- alumni events webpage – latrobe.edu.au/alumni/events
- alumni social media channels
Now that the event has been promoted and invites are sent, all you have to do is wait for the RSVP’s to start rolling in.
Remember, the Alumni Relations team will offer support and advice but it is the host’s responsibility to overall manage the reunion.
Enjoy your reunion
Have a wonderful time reminiscing and reconnecting with old friends. If you would like a member of the Alumni Relations team to attend on the day please let us know and we will do our best to attend.
After the reunion
- Ensure you tie up any loose ends e.g. venue/catering costs
- Send thank-you note to your guests
- Share photos – we can share your photos with the alumni community
- Contact the Alumni Relations team – please send us an updated list of who attended your reunion, with their contact details so we can update our records if they have given their consent.
Support the Alumni Relations team can provide
The Alumni Relations team are also here to guide and support you in planning your reunion. We can assist in the following ways:
- Guide you through the reunion process including information on campus venues
- Let you know how many of your classmates we’re still in touch with
- Send email invitations on your behalf
- Promote your reunion on the University website and social media pages as well as in the alumni e-newsletter
- Prepare guest name tags
- Collect RSVPs and ticket fees
Please call the Alumni Relations team if you’d like to find out more about organising a reunion.
T: (03) 9479 2011 or E: email@example.com