Mentor a student
We are actively seeking alumni to mentor La Trobe students through our online mentoring platform.
Our focus for the current semester's program is matching mentors with students from a wide range of experience, diverse backgrounds and industry sectors therefore we encourage all prospective mentors to complete the online membership form.
- 'Career Ready' program - A mentoring program to help undergraduate students prepare for careers in a broad range of professional/study areas.
- 'MBA Mentor' program - A program to support MBA students develop their business, leadership and management skills.
- ‘Postgraduate by Coursework’ program – A mentoring program to support postgraduate students develop their professional skills, expand industry networks and enhance their career direction.
Why mentor a student?
As a guide, we suggest that potential mentors have 1-2 years of professional experience.
You and your student mentee will be guided step-by-step through a structured online program.
The program will include suggested activities and conversation topics designed to help shape your mentee's next career steps. Sample conversations you could have include
- Setting career goals
- Choosing/shaping a career direction
- Job search and application tips
- What to expect and how to thrive at work
- How to deal with workplace challenges
- Ongoing professional development and networking opportunities including professional associations in your industry.
Your mentee may also ask you to provide feedback on a sample resume or a response to a selection criteria.
Program length and contact hours
In 2017, the program will:
- Run for approximately 4 months with flexible start dates
- Involve approximately 1 hour of contact each week
Contact can be face-to-face, by email, telephone or Skype and frequency of meetings is to be negotiated between each mentor and mentee.
Get involved - register your interest
If you are interested in being involved in the current or future programs, please complete the expression of interest form.
Alumni Relations Coordinator
La Trobe University
T: 03 9479 1653