Opportunities for PhD scholarships
In response to increased rates of population ageing and the subsequent importance of rural ageing and aged care research, the John Richards Initiative (JRI) at La Trobe University is offering two PhD scholarships commencing in 2016 and 2017 to local, national and international candidates.
The JRI is a dedicated rural ageing and aged care research centre.
For information about eligibility to apply for a PhD, enrolment and scholarship at La Trobe University, please consult the La Trobe Get a Research Degree website.
- December 2017
Potential research projects
Potential research projects will fall under the JRI strategic directions, which encompass two main themes:
Healthy ageing in rural communities
- Lifecourse approaches to healthy ageing and wellbeing
- Positive ageing in rural communities (including active participation and engagement among older people in promoting health and wellbeing)
- Disadvantaged communities (including people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Background; people living in geographically isolated areas)
- Innovative technology and telehealth to maintain independence and social connectedness in rural ageing and aged care.
Delivery of appropriate health and aged care services in rural contexts
- Innovative and sustainable models of residential care for diverse rural communities
- Aged care workforce (including facilitators and barriers to recruiting young people to work in rural aged care, and training issues in rural community-based aged care)
- Integrated health delivery encompassing community, primary, secondary and tertiary care for older people with complex chronic conditions
- Implications of consumer directed care in rural contexts.
To confirm supervision arrangements prior to submitting your formal application, please contact:
To be considered, please submit a formal application for candidature and a scholarship through La Trobe's graduate research degree application process.
Separately forward the following to Ms Linda Gordes indicating you wish to be considered for a JRI PhD Scholarship:
- a Curriculum Vitae
- a one-page statement outlining your experience, training and expertise relevant to the proposed project.